Monday, June 23, 2008

Response 1

My comment on United we stand, divided we fall on the issue of the lack of involvement in government by young adults.

I feel that the problem is more complicated than just a lack of interest. I agree that the school system for teaching government doesn't really encourage students to get involved because usually it ends up being like any other class in high school.We don't exactlly expect students in a physics class to go out and get involved in physics the same way we expect them to be immediately involved in their government. Teens and young adults need time in the real world to mature and see how these things actually affect them in their daily life in order to feel motivated enough to pay attention.Also I think a lack of free time and seeing political involvement as more of a chore than something that is stimulationg and productive is a contributiong factor to the lack of attention. I personally work full time while taking two summer courses, and I'll admit there is no way I would be as involved in thinking about government if i was not taking this class. Someday I hope to have enough time to be truely involved and commited to staying up to date in the world of government.

No comments: